- Create a Repeatable Section
- Anatomy of a Repeatable Section
- Create and Manage Questions in Repeats
- Add Nested Repeatable Sections
- Next Steps
Note: V2 Forms are available to all customers. If you do not have access to the V2 Form Builder and Forms, please read: Enabling V2 Forms
Repeatable sections allow users to enter a variable number of entries for the same set of questions -- typically used for entering things like parts, labor, or material line items.
Entered line items are laid out in a summary table view, making it easy for mobile users to review their work.
Repeatable sections are easily configured in the Form Builder. This article will discuss how to add, edit, and delete repeatable sections and associated questions/features in the Version 2 Form Builder.
Review the video below for a demonstration of repeatable sections in the mobile app..
Review the video below for instructions on adding a repeatable section to a form.
- Go the the place in your form where you would like to add a repeatable section; this can be after a Regular section on an existing page, or on a brand new page.
- Press the Add a Section button.
- Choose Repeatable as the section type.
- Name the section, and optionally customize the unique identifier. Read more about general section properties here. Then, select save.
- The repeatable section will be created. It will be easily identifiable by the table view.
Editing a Repeatable Section's Information
To edit a repeatable section's Information, simply select the menu icon next to the section name and select Edit. Here, you will be able to edit any options selected in the initial creation of the section.
Deleting a Repeatable Section
To delete a repeatable section, select the menu icon next to the section day and select Edit. At the bottom of the settings and options page, select Delete Section.
Copying a Repeatable Section
Copying a repeatable section can be done directly through the menu icon and selecting Copy Section. This will also copy any conditional logic contained within the repeatable section, but will not copy any conditional logic referring to or originating from outside the section.
Repeatable sections appear as clean, easily-read and -managed sections on your mobile users' devices. This is an image from the Android client, demonstrating a filled-out repeatable section:
For more information on each of these parts, please read:
- Find your repeatable section.
- Press the Edit Summary Table or Questions button to launch into your repeatable section.
- You will now be "inside" the repeatable section.
- All sections and questions listed on the right panel are inside of the repeatable section.
How to identify that you are in a Repeatable Section
- The "breadcrumbs" in the title show the name of the main form, then the name of the Repeatable section you are currently in.
- The form building tab says Repeatable Section Builder.
- The Return to Main Form button at the top of the left navigation menu.
- The nested left navigation menu (showing the sections inside of your Repeatable section).
- The Summary Table designer at the top of the right panel.
To exit the repeatable section, click on Return to Main Form, or click anywhere outside of the repeatable section in the left navigation.
Creating, editing, and managing questions inside of your repeatable section is done on the right panel. All of the interactions are identical to adding these items into your main form, except for the following restrictions.
Dropdown and radiobutton questions can populate answers into other questions. There are some restrictions around this functionality and repeatable sections.
- Questions inside of a repeatable section can only push answers into other questions inside of the same Repeatable section (including Repeatable sections nested within the current one).
- Questions that are outside of the repeatable section, but come before it, can push information into questions that are in Repeatable sections.
Referencing Other Questions
Many types of questions, like Calculations, String Concatenation, or filtering of dropdown questions, use references to previous answers in the form. There are some restrictions around this functionality and repeatable sections.
- A question in a repeatable section can reference back to:
- Previous questions in the same Repeatable section
- Previous footer questions in the same Repeatable section
- Questions one level up (i.e. in the main form) that come before the Repeatable section
How Many Questions can I have in a Repeatable Section?
There is no specific limit, but keep in mind that questions in a repeatable section are listed on a single form page. Too many questions on one page is difficult for a user in the field to handle. If you have excessive amounts of questions on ANY page in a form, you may begin to run into performance issues on a mobile device.
Moving Sections and Questions
Sections and questions that are inside of a repeatable section can only be rearranged within the Repeatable section; they cannot be moved outside of it.
Example of Nested Repeatable Sections
You can nest repeatable sections inside a main repeatable section. Nested repeatable sections can help you to keep collected information organized.
The following example shows the summary of a Campus Inspection form with two levels of nested repeatable sections.
The main repeatable section is Building Inspection. The inspector can add as many buildings as needed.
The first nested repeatable section is Floor inspection. The inspector can add as many floors in a building as needed.
The second nested repeatable section is Room inspection. The inspector can add as many rooms on a floor as needed.
Steps to Add a Nested Repeatable Section
From the Manage Forms menu, navigate to the form you want to configure.
Select EDIT FORM.
The form opens in edit mode.
Do you have a repeatable section configured?
If yes, go to the next step.
If no, add the main repeatable section.
Select EDIT SUMMARY TABLE OR QUESTIONS.
The repeatable section opens in edit mode.
Select ADD A SECTION, and then select Repeatable.
The system adds a repeatable section nested inside the main section. You can add questions to the nested repeatable section, or add additional sections
Note:You can only add two levels of nested repeatable sections inside a main repeatable section.
Once you have created the sections and questions you want, here are the next steps you can take.
- Building a Summary Table
- Set up Conditional Logic in a Repeatable section
- Building a Repeatable Section Footer
- Configure Repeatable Section Settings