(Please note that older articles might not render correctly in mobile view.)
A list of Form Submissions can be exported from the ProntoForms web portal in a CSV spreadsheet format. This report will contain all data included in each submission that is included.
This is useful for:
- backing up the data from form submissions
- searching across the data to easily find a specific submission
- building your own reports in Excel, or importing ProntoForms data into other reporting tools
- or sharing data with external stakeholders
- In the Data & Analytics tab, select Submissions (by Form).
- Choose the form you want to export a list of submissions for.
- On the Submissions page for your form, apply the desired filters to narrow down the list of results to the submissions you would like to export.
- Locate the CSV Export button above the table of results.
- A pop-up will appear with a list of export settings. See below.
Note: If you are exporting a very high volume of submissions (for example, over 25000 submissions in a single export), depending on the size of your form, you may start run into errors. If this happens, try filtering the results to export a smaller group of submissions. We also recommend scheduled exports and data destinations, which can be used to automate the export of data to email or other systems on a regular basis, so that the regular export of large amounts of data becomes unnecessary.
Email a download link to:
The export will be delivered by email. Your email address should appear by default, but you can change it to another email address.
Include a header row:
If yes, column headers will be displayed in the CSV export above your submission data.
Choose what will appear in the headers for each column that contains data from a question in the form.
- Question Text - uses the actual text of each question in your form.
- Question Label - uses the shorter Unique ID that you define when you build your form to use as your column header.
- You can choose to display both the question text and Unique ID.
Choose what language any ProntoForms-generated strings will appear in: English, French or Spanish.
Special characters in ProntoForms-generated CSV files might display incorrectly when opened in Microsoft Excel. Excel does not recognize UTF-8 encoded CSVs and may display them with the wrong encoding (ie., "Stéphane" may display as "StÃ©phane"). To ensure data with special characters is imported properly, disable this option. For detailed information, please read: Display Accented Characters in ProntoForms-Generated CSV files
Data to Include
All answers from form submissions will be included, but you can customize what metadata (information about the submission (like date/time, location, submitter)) is included.
Optionally customize which metadata columns are included in the CSV export. A number of columns are included by default, but these can be removed. The Data Record Name and Reference Number columns are commonly added to the export to make rows of data more identifiable.
You will get an email containing a CSV file below are a few examples of what that file might look like. Color-coding had been added to help you spot the differences.
Submissions without Repeatable Section Data
Forms without Repeatable Sections result in a very simple CSV format.
- 1 column for each Question
- 1 row for the form submission
The file pictured below has 4 form submissions in it (one per row).
Submissions with Repeatable Section Data
Repeatable Sections allow users to add multiple entries for the same set of questions. Using Repeatable Sections in your forms will cause some noticeable changes in the CSV export file.
- 1 column for each question
- Extra rows per submission (5 rows = 5 repeatable section entries)
- Non-Repeat data is repeated on every row
The file below shows 4 submissions. The orange highlighted columns represent two questions in a Repeatable Section. The first submission only contains 1 Repeat entry, so it only takes up 1 row. The second contains 3 entries, so it takes up 3 rows.
Submissions with Data from Multiple Repeatable Sections
Here's an example of a CSV file for submissions that have data for two Repeatable Sections. The orange columns and blue columns are two different repeatable sections.
Submissions with Data from Nested Repeatable Sections
Repeatable sections can also have repeatable sections nested within them.
The below file shows a single form submission. There are two entries into the Repeatable Section "Floor". The first "Floor" has two nested entries for "Units". The second "Floor" only has one nested "Unit" entry.