Dropdown questions allow the user to select one answer from a list of predefined answers. When using a data source, users can search lists of information to find the information they need.
Note: The list of information will display differently depending on the number of entries in the data source and the app platform:
- iOS: The list will be shown inline if the data source has fewer than 10 entries. If it contains 10 or more entries, they will be shown on a new screen.
- Android: The list will always be shown on a new screen, regardless of the number of entries.
There are three tabs for Dropdown questions: General, Options, and Properties.
Compatible Data Types: Free Text, Email Address, URL, Phone Number, Integer, Decimal, Currency.
Available Restrictions: For more information, please read: Question and Data Types: Restrictions.
Dropdown Options: Select whether you want to use preset answers for your users to choose from, or use a data source.
- Define Options Manually: Enter your preset options here.
- Reorder options by dragging and dropping using the dotted icon to the left side of the option.
- Optionally, add an "other" option for any answers not shown using the toggle at the bottom of the list.
- Use Data Source for Options: Link your question to a data source to populate your list of options. For more information on Data Sources, please read: Data Source Overview
- Column displayed in dropdown: This is the information that will be shown on your mobile users' devices.
- Column submitted to server: This is the information that will be sent to the server or added to a document. This does not have to match the displayed column.
- Hide duplicate rows in dropdown: If your data source contains duplicate entries, selecting this option will hide the duplicates.
- Filter Options: Enabling this option allows you to filter out information irrelevant to your mobile user. It is a minor form of conditional logic. For more information on filtering data sources, please read: Filtering Data Sources
- Filter Options by Location: Enabling this option allows you to filter data sources based on the mobile user's location. For more information on location-based filtering, please read: Adding Location-Based Filtering to Questions.
- Push Data to Other Questions: This allows you to fill out other questions based on the answers to this dropdown. For more information, please read: Pushing Data to Other Questions.
Dropdown Properties: This will vary depending on the data type chosen.
- Validation Type: Non-accented letters only, no spaces; non-accented letters and numbers only, no spaces; Canadian postal code; US zip code; custom (uses Regular Expressions).
- Used for: FreeText
- Default Value: Set the initial value for the question.
- Used for: FreeText, Email Address, URL, Phone Number, Integer, Decimal, Currency.
- Allow mobile users to...
- ... launch an email to this email address: opens the device's mail client to send an email to the listed address.
- ... a web browser from this URL: opens the link in either the ProntoForms app, or in an external web browser.
- ... start a phone call to this number: opens the phone number in the device's phone interface.
- ... send an SMS to this number: opens the device's SMS app with the phone number pre-populated.
- Min/Max Value: set a minimum or maximum value for the button group.
- Used for: Integer, Decimal, and Currency.
- Min/Max Decimal Places: set a minimum or maximum number of decimal places.
- Used for: Decimal.
- Currency: Select from a list of global currencies.
- Used for: Currency.
Filtering: For more information on using filters on dropdown questions, please read: V2 Forms: Filtering Data Sources