The Sketch Pad control allows field users to "sketch" on the screen of their mobile devices and integrate the result into a mobile form. Several drawing tools (lines, shapes, and freehand draw) and colors are available. Making use of the touchscreen functionality of smartphones and tablets, the Sketch Pad control is easy to use and quite flexible. It is possible to customize the Sketch Pad control in several ways, allowing users to:
- Sketch on a blank canvas
- Sketch on a background image chosen by an administrator
- Choose an image stored on their device to sketch on
- Take a photo with their device's camera to sketch on
- Add data to Sketch Pad images with Data Stamping
- Any combination of the above
Common uses include drawing diagrams of a work site, or taking photos of a work site and circling or otherwise marking items/areas requiring attention. Learn how to use sketch pad functionality within a form.
When enabled, multiple sketches can be collected with a single sketch question.
The Sketch Pad question type has two tabs: General, and Properties.
Available Restrictions: See Question and Data Types: Restrictions.
Maximum Attachments: Select how many image files are allowed to be attached to your form.
- Note: It is advisable to not allow excessive attachments, as this will cause larger data record sizes. When choosing the maximum number of attachments, keep in mind that the default Form Submission size limit is 2MB, and the maximum is 20MB. This can be changed in the Settings tab of the form.
Camera and Gallery Access: Select whether or your mobile users must take a new photo, whether they can use their existing photo gallery on their mobile device, or must use a form image ("None").
Allow sketching on a blank canvas: When enabled, users can draw freehand on a white canvas.
Allow Sketching on Form Images: When enabled, this allows mobile users to sketch on image attached to the form definition. Select an appropriate form image from the dropdown list. For more information, please read: Creating, Editing, and Deleting Form Images.
Picture Quality: Control the image compression in your users' submissions. This, like Maximum Attachments above, is strongly impacted by the Form Submission size limit.
- Small File (lower quality): This will reduce the size of the image to 640px on the longest side.
- Average Quality and File Size: This will reduce the size of the image to 1024px on the longest side.
- Use Device Settings: This will use your device's settings for images. This can result in very large image files, so please be careful with this setting.
Custom Filename Prefix: Use DREL or a standard alphanumeric phrase to create a prefix that will show up before all images. For more information, please read: Attachment File Naming: Create a Custom Filename Prefix.
Convert images to black and white: Select this box to turn color images to grayscale.
Stamp Data on Images: Automatically add some default information to images. For more information, please read: Stamping Data onto Images.