The SMS Data Destination can automatically send a text message to provided phone numbers when a form is submitted. These can be pre-set phone numbers that receive a notification every time a form is submitted, or they can be manually chosen/entered in a form. The notifications sent can also be pre-set, static messages, or they can be dynamically generated based on the data submitted -- for example, including answers such as a customer name.
This data destination can be useful for sharing data between company users, and can instantly provide brief updates on clients or projects to users at various locations across multiple devices. It can also be used to provide notifications to customers.
Tip for mobile users:
- SMS notifications from ProntoForms are always sent from the same phone number.
- Try saving this number in your device's "Contacts" as "ProntoForms Notification Service" or something similar to more easily manage your notifications.
Note: Due to the cost associated with text messaging in some regions, SMS is available only for some countries. There is also a limit of 50 messages per month per team. If your SMS needs exceed these limitations, please contact email@example.com to discuss an alternative solution.
Data destinations automatically back up data collected in the field. They reduce the need to visit the web portal by making submitted forms available through the services you already use. Different documents can also be sent to different services with a single form submission. Read here for more information on data destinations.
- Create the data destination following the instructions here.
- Destination Basics: Name the destination. Optionally choose to auto-link forms and documents to this destination.
- Add Filtering: With a filter set up, form submissions will only be sent through the destination if the filter is met. Read more here.
- Set up the SMS Configuration tab as discussed below.
This is the message that will be sent to recipients. Use the Data Record Expression Language to insert answers from your forms. For example, entering "A %f has been completed for %a[CustomerName]." could send a notification like "A General Inspection Form has been completed for Company ABC."
- Send SMS to the Data Record Submitter is selected by default; this will send an SMS to the submitter's phone number as configured in their ProntoForms account.
- Send SMS to users with “Data Record Submission Listener” checked in the Data Record Submitter's groups: This will send a notification via SMS to any user with this permission configured for this formspace. Read more about Administrative Permissions here.
Groups to Include
Select specific groups to receive notifications. All members of the selected group will receive notifications at the phone number linked to their ProntoForms account.
Other Phone Numbers to Include
Enter the phone number of any additional recipients who should receive a notification for every form submission processed by the destination.
Form Labels to Extract
This option is used to select a phone number type question on the form, then send a notification to the phone number provided as the answer. This is typically used for a customer phone number, as they may be one-time recipients.
- Locate a Phone number type question in the Form Builder and find the label (as seen below).
- Enter the label in the Question Labels box.
In order for the destination to send any submitted form data, it must first be connected to the form. This is done in the Data Destinations tab of the form builder.
Data destinations should be configured and tested carefully before using them in production. This is key to ensuring that ProntoForms data is received correctly. Please consult the recommendations for testing and troubleshooting data destinations.