- Set Up the Data Source
- Data Retrieval and Format
The HTTP GET Data Source allows ProntoForms to retrieve data from a web application through an HTTP GET request. This data can then be used to populate a list of options in dropdown or radiobutton questions.
Data sources are usually set up to fetch data on a specified schedule. This allows teams to maintain and update their data through the external service of their choice, minimizing the need to access the web portal.
- Create the data source as described here.
- Select HTTP GET Data Source as the type.
- Select a Name and optionally enter a Description.
- Set up the data source using the information below.
If turned on, users will get a notification from the ProntoForms app after a fetch. It will prompt users to reconcile (send/receive or refresh). This setting is recommended if it is important that users have the most up-to-date data.
- With "push updates" and an automatic fetch set up, some data sources send a notification for each fetch, whether or not the data source has new data.
- If the fetch schedule is hourly, users may get notifications hourly even if the data has not changed.
- Some users may find these notifications annoying or confusing. Consider the fetch frequency carefully if notifications are enabled.
Automatically fetch new data on a schedule:
- If checked, data will be retrieved at the specified Fetch Frequency interval.
- Make sure that the team has a Problem Contact Email Address. If a fetch is unsuccessful for any reason, this address will receive an email with an error message and details. Without this email, it may not be immediately clear that a fetch has failed.
- If unchecked, the data source will not be updated automatically. To retrieve new data, the data source will need to be manually updated through the "Fetch New Data" button on the data source's details page in the web portal.
Choose Hourly, Daily, Weekly or Monthly. This is how often the data source will fetch new data from the data source.
Fetch Timezone: This applies to all fetch frequency options except “Hourly.” The data retrieval will occur at midnight in the specified time zone, at the specified interval.
- Choose a Data Format (CSV, XML, JSON, or Excel). CSV is most commonly used.
- UTF-8 Encoded: If the file to upload is saved with UTF-8 encoding, check this option. If you are not sure if it is, leave this unchecked.
- Trim Whitespace: This option will remove any space, tab, or other "whitespace" characters that may be present at the beginning or end of a data value. This is recommended.
- CSV Delimiter: This option is relevant only when uploading a CSV file. When saving to delimited format from a spreadsheet application, comma is generally used as the separating character, but semi-colon may be used by some applications in some regions.
Configure a new HTTP Connection or choose an existing connection.
- If left unchecked, the data source will wait until the specified time and interval to retrieve data for the first time.
- If checked, the first data retrieval will occur immediately after creating the data source.