- Set Up the Data Source
- Data Retrieval and Format
The Salesforce Report Data Source retrieves data from a file in a Salesforce account. This data can then be used to populate a list of options in dropdown or radiobutton questions. The Salesforce Report Data Source is intended for use on files containing fewer than 2000 rows. For larger data sets, please use the Salesforce Query Data Source (under development).
Data sources are usually set up to fetch data on a specified schedule. This allows teams to maintain and update their data through the external service of their choice, minimizing the need to access the web portal.
|Organizations of all sizes use the Salesforce platform to manage customer relationships and power their business in the cloud. Looking for two-way integration? Read more about the ways ProntoForms can connect to Salesforce.|
- Create the data source as described here.
- Select Salesforce Report Data Source as the type.
- Name the data source and optionally enter a Description.
- Set up the data source using the information below.
The Salesforce Report Data Source will truncate rows after 2000. If your Salesforce reports contain more than 2000 rows, please use the Salesforce Query Data Source.
If turned on, users will get a notification from the ProntoForms app after a fetch. It will prompt users to reconcile (send/receive or refresh). This setting is recommended if it is important that users have the most up-to-date data.
- With "push updates" and an automatic fetch set up, some data sources send a notification for each fetch, whether or not the data source has new data.
- If the fetch schedule is hourly, users may get notifications hourly even if the data has not changed.
- Some users may find these notifications annoying or confusing. Consider the fetch frequency carefully if notifications are enabled.
Automatically fetch new data on a schedule:
- If checked, data will be retrieved from your Salesforce Report at the Fetch Frequency interval.
- Make sure that the team has a Problem Contact Email Address. If a fetch is unsuccessful for any reason, this address will receive an email with an error message and details. Without this email, it may not be immediately clear that a fetch has failed.
- If unchecked, the data source will not be updated automatically. To retrieve new data from Salesforce, the data source will need to be manually updated through the "Fetch New Data" button in the web portal.
Choose Hourly, Daily, Weekly or Monthly. This is how often the data source will fetch new data from Salesforce.
This applies to all fetch frequency options except “Hourly.” Data will be fetched at midnight in the chosen time zone.
- Configure a Salesforce Connection or use an existing connection.
- Report ID: Enter the Report ID from your Salesforce account. When you open a report in Salesforce, from the address bar you will notice a URL like: https://na7.salesforce.com/01OE0010002k1NJ. "01OE0010002k1NJ" is the Report ID.
- Report Summary Format: For a Salesforce report to work as a ProntoForms data source, the report summary format must be set to Tabular. Other formats will result in an error in ProntoForms.
- Grouping your Report Data: For a Salesforce report to work as a ProntoForms data source, it must NOT have data that is grouped. If you have a report with grouped data, we recommend making a copy of that report where the data is not grouped.
- If left unchecked, the data source will wait until the specified time and interval to retrieve data for the first time.
- If checked, the first data retrieval will occur immediately after creating the data source.