(Please note that older articles might not render correctly in mobile view.)
- Set Up the Data Source
The Microsoft Sites Custom List Data Source retrieves data from a custom list in an Office 365 Business account. This data can then be used to populate a list of options in dropdown or radiobutton questions.
Data sources are usually set up to fetch data on a specified schedule. This allows teams to maintain and update their data through the external service of their choice, minimizing the need to access the web portal.
ProntoForms currently supports using the following types of information in Custom List columns:
- Integer (Number)
- Text (single line of text)
- Choice (menu to choose from) Note: ProntoForms does not support multiple selections (i.e., Checkboxes)
- Boolean (Yes/No check boxes)
- Number (Number)
- Currency ($, ¥, €)
- Calculated (calculation based on other columns)
Microsoft Sites, also known as Sharepoint Online, allows users to create custom lists. These lists can track anything from customer information to survey responses. As the custom list is hosted on users' Microsoft Site, it can be accessed, updated, and synced remotely by all users with appropriate permissions.
Create the data source as described here.
Select Microsoft Sites Custom List Data Source as the type.
Select a Name and optionally enter a Description.
Set up the data source using the information below.
If turned on, users will get a notification from the ProntoForms app after a fetch. It will prompt users to reconcile (send/receive or refresh). This setting is recommended if it is important that users have the most up-to-date data.
With "push updates" and an automatic fetch set up, some data sources send a notification for each fetch, whether or not the data source has new data.
If the fetch schedule is hourly, users may get notifications hourly even if the data has not changed.
Some users may find these notifications annoying or confusing. Consider the fetch frequency carefully if notifications are enabled.
Automatically fetch new data on a schedule:
If checked, data will be retrieved from Microsoft Sites at the Fetch Frequency interval.
Make sure that the team has a Problem Contact Email Address. If a fetch is unsuccessful for any reason, this address will receive an email with an error message and details. Without this email, it may not be immediately clear that a fetch has failed.
If unchecked, the data source will not be updated automatically. To retrieve new data from Microsoft Sites, the data source will need to be manually updated through the "Fetch New Data" button in the web portal.
Choose Hourly, Daily, Weekly or Monthly. This is how often the data source will fetch new data from Microsoft Sites.
This applies to all fetch frequency options except “Hourly.” Data will be fetched at midnight in the chosen time zone.
Set up an Office 365 Business connection or use an existing connection.
Enter the path to the custom list containing your data. This can be found in the List Settings. The location of the List Settings varies depending on your permissions and how your Office 365 Administrator has configured the Sites. This means that the documentation below may not reflect your experience.
- Make sure you are in the appropriate Site on your Office 365 account.
- Click on Site Contents on the left side of your screen and select your custom list.
- Click on List at the top and select List Settings.
- Your custom list's web address is listed underneath the list name.
Note: If your list is on the Team Site, it will be considered in the "Root Site".
- Enter this information in File Path field in the ProntoForms Connections tab. You do not need to add the /Lists/ part of the URL, but you must specify the Site Prefix before the sub-site.
The site prefix is the part of your site path that tells us where the custom list you're trying to send form submission data to is, relative to the main site. There are three types it could be:
- / : The Sharepoint URL, e.g. https://companyname.sharepoint.com, aka the root site.
- /sites/: A sub-site to the main company Sharepoint, e.g. https://companyname.sharepoint.com/sites/SubSiteName
- /teams/: A team site created for a specific group of people on the main company Sharepoint, e.g. https://companyname.sharepoint.com/teams/TeamName
If left unchecked, the data source will wait until the specified time and interval to retrieve data for the first time.
If checked, the first data retrieval will occur immediately after creating the data source.
Office 365 Business expires the connection token every 90 days. This requires ProntoForms Administrators with appropriate permissions to reset the connection in the ProntoForms system when the connection token expires. For information on how to do this, follow this link: Microsoft 365 Business Connection