- Document Basics
- Question Filtering
PDF, Microsoft Word, and HTML documents are the most commonly used document types. Set up formatting guidelines to control the document's page size, page breaks, font colour, size and style, the arrangement of images, etc.
You can also select which questions to include in documents. Since multiple documents can be attached to the same form, it is possible to create separate customer-facing and internal documents with a single form submission.
Create the document. Select PDF, Word Document, or HTML as the document type. Then, follow the instructions below.
Give the document a unique name. Optionally provide a description.
This is the name of the file that will be sent through data destinations.
- Use Data Record Expression Language to reference answers in your forms.
- Static text can also be included.
- For example, %r -- %a[Customer Name] would name the file like "20140812-180001002 -- John Smith."
- Some data destinations will overwrite files with duplicate names. Make sure file names are unique by including one or more of:
- %r - the submission's reference number -- e.g. 20140920-1815562464
- %r[id] - the submission's ID - e.g. 1815562464
- %t - the time the form was submitted
Choose a document time zone source. This is the time zone for all dates and times in your document.
- Team Preference Setting: Will use the time zone chosen for the team
- Data Record: Will use the time zone the form submission is made from (as chosen on the mobile device).
- Custom: Choose a time zone.
Selecting this option will add the document as an "Additional Document" to forms created or imported after this option is set. Submissions made against these forms will be downloadable in this document format from the "Data" tab of the portal.
This tab controls which questions (and their answers) will be included in the document.
Hide unanswered pages
Pages with no answers will be hidden. Note that this option can be overridden on on a per-page basis in pages containing information controls.
Hide unanswered questions
Unanswered questions will be hidden.
Optionally choose which questions to include in the document. You can choose to show only the selected questions, or hide all of the selected questions For example, you may want to create a customer-facing document that omits answers (such as hourly rates) while including this information on documents that are intended for internal use.
Important: If "hidden on reports" is set for a question, it will always be hidden in all documents.
- Include all questions: All questions will be included in the document.
- Include selected questions, hide all others: Only the selected fields will be included in the document.
- Hide selected questions, include all others: The selected fields will be hidden in the document. All other fields will be included.
Questions to Include/Hide
Enter the labels of all questions to include or hide. For example, to include the questions seen below (from the Form Builder view), simply type the labels (shown in grey on the right): "Company Name, First Name, Last Name, Street Address".
Apply formatting. See below for details. When complete, save the document. Link the document to a form in order to use it.
- PDF Format (PDF templates only): Standard, PdfA, or PdfX. Note: PDF/X, PDF/E, and PDF/A standards are defined by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Read here for more information.
- Embed attachments within the Data Record Document: Image/Sketch Pad/Signature files will be shown in the document, rather than attached/sent separately.
- Template: Choose the V1 Default Template.
More specific formatting options are available under the template options header. Click through the tabs on the left to access them.
- Paper Size: Choose the rendered page size -- "Letter", "Legal", or "A4".
- Paper Orientation: Choose between Portrait or Landscape.
- Page Number Location: Choose where to display the page number, if required. Select -None- if not needed.
Margin (in px)
- This measurement is in (px) pixels. Simply experiment with the amount of pixels by changing the values and generating a preview.
Output File Properties
- Set metadata to assign the data record document. This can usually only be seen by right clicking on the file and selecting properties. Use Data Record Expression Language to reference metadata and answers from submitted forms.
- Show Header on First Page: Optionally show/hide the header on the first page of the document.
- Header Text: Choose the text to display on the Left, in the Center, and on the Right of the header. This can also be done using Data Record Expression Language.
- Font: Customize the font used in the header.
Control various aspects of the logo's appearance in the document. This logo can be hidden by un-checking the "Show Logo" box.
- Choose the logo's position.
- Change the height of the logo (in pixels). Note: The width will be dynamically adjusted to maintain the correct aspect ratio.
- This section shows the current logo in your custom branding configuration.
This controls the metadata section of the document. "Form Information" will show right under the header. It provides information about the form and the submission, like who submitted the form, and when it was submitted.
- Background Color: Choose the background color of the Form Information section.
- Option like Show Form Name, Show Reference Number, Show Submitter Name can all be turned on or off..
Customize the look of each section's heading text.
- Line Colour: Controls the colour of the line under the page title.
- Show Page Title: Show/Hide the form page titles on the document.
- Paragraph Break After Page Section: Starts a new paragraph in the document for each page break in the mobile form.
- Page Break After Page Section: Starts a new page in the document for each page break in the mobile form.
Control the way the answers are displayed.
- Show Barcode Images: Display or hide scanned barcodes in the document.
- Font: Choose the font and font size to display answers in.
- Spacing Between Questions: Adjust the whitespace between questions.
- Questions with Page Breaks: Add page breaks before specific questions. This is done by referencing question labels.
- Include Hyperlinks to Portal on Images/Signatures: Clicking on images in the document will launch the URL to the attachment in a web browser. Disable this on customer-facing documents, as pages won't load unless viewers are logged into ProntoForms.
- Question Column Size: By default, the Questions column and the Answers column are each 50% of the page width. Changing this value from 50% to another value will reduce or extend the width of the left (Questions) column.
- Image Max Height & Signature Max Height
Set the maximum height of signatures and images included in the document.
- Horizontal Image Layout
This option will cause the data record document to attempt to fit as many images next to each other in the answer column as possible. If un-checked, only one image will be displayed per line. This may cause forms with many images to be excessively long.
- Place Images Below Question Text
This option combined with the previous option will start rendering the images directly under the form question in the questions column. This would allow more images to fit side by side and therefore save vertical space on your data record document.
- Place Signatures Below Question Text
This option is the same as above, but with signatures.
- Image Compression Ratio (between 0 and 1)
The higher the value used, the smaller the document will be. For example, if a data record has over 20MB worth of images, changing the image compression ratio to 0.9 reduces the images to 5.3MB.
- For image-heavy forms, compression of 0.9 is recommended to ensure forms are submitted and processed successfully with minimal quality loss.
Style Format: Choose Short, Medium, Long or Full depending on how much detail should be shown.
|Short:||Date: 11/27/13||Time: 6:50 PM|
|Medium:||Date: Nov 27, 2013||Time: 6:50:40 PM|
|Long:||Date: November 27, 2013||Time: 6:50:40 PM PST|
|Full:||Date: Wednesday, November 27, 2013||Time: 6:50:40 PM PST|
Custom Format: Create custom date or time formatting using this syntax.
|Date Formatting:||yyyy (Year)||MM (Month)||dd (Day)|
|Time Formatting:||hh (hour[12 hour syntax])||a (AM/PM Marker)||HH (Hour[24 hour syntax]||mm (Minute)||ss (Second)|
|Timezone:||z (up to 4 z's) (Time Zone)||Z (up to 3 Z's) (Time Zone as Offset/City)|
Elements of this syntax can be combined. For example, "hh:mm a" could output the time as "6:50 PM PST."
- Show Footer on First Page: Optionally show/hide the footer on the first page of the document.
- Footer Text: Choose the text to display on the Left, in the Center, and on the Right of the footer. This can also be done using Data Record Expression Language.
- Font: Customize the font used in the footer.