Note: This feature is under development and pending release. V2 forms are gradually being rolled out to our customers.
Additional Comments are useful for when certain answers from a user require further information, like a comment or reason. For example:
- when inspecting an item with the options Pass, Fail, or Not Applicable, selecting Fail will show the comments field and make it required, asking users to provide a reason for the failure.
- when a field user enters a reading from a piece of equipment that is not within the ideal range, show a comments field asking users to enter a corrective action.
Using Additional Comments for these scenarios is beneficial because:
- the "comments" answer is directly tied to the question that triggered it, giving you more structured forms and data
- they can be built with no conditional logic, making it easier to build and manage your forms.
Additional Comments appear on the device as a text field or text area. They're triggered by selecting an answer that matches criteria set up by your administrator.
For example, if you're using an inspection form and select "Warning", a comment field will appear beneath the question. Fill it out to give more detail on the warning.
You can set up an additional comment on the following question types:
- Button Group, Dropdown, Radiobutton: The comment appears beneath the original question when a particular answer is selected.
- Text field, Stepper, Slider, and Calculation: These questions must be number-based, i.e., integer, decimal, or other numeric data types. The comment appears beneath the original question when an answer falls under a certain exception. For more information on Exceptions, please read: Answer Exceptions.
To set up an additional comment:
- Open the appropriate form in the form builder and go to the question you want to add a comment to.
- Select the Options tab and scroll to the bottom.
- Select what makes the additional comment question appear to your mobile users from the dropdown menu. You may select multiple options.
- In this example, we're using a dropdown question with Pass/Warning/Hard Fail as options. Selecting "Hard Fail" will spawn a text field comment.
- Select further options, such as setting what message will show up on the mobile user's device when the additional comment appears.
The Comments field can be a text field or text area. It can also be Required.
- Select Save.
You can see which questions have a additional comment in the Form Builder. Additional Comments show up underneath their parent questions: