(Please note that older articles might not render correctly in mobile view.)
In a Handlebars document, when trying to reference a question in the form using the exact unique ID that I see in the form, the data doesn't get displayed in the document.
Due to some limitations in the tools used to generate custom documents, we sanitize the Unique IDs in the following ways before transmitting the data to our document generation server.
- If the ID is 20 characters or more in length, we turn the label into an acronym and trim any extra characters
- Remove non-alphanumeric characters
- Remove the first character if it is a number
Use the reference data section in the Custom Document Editor window to identify the modified question label.
For instance, the auto-generated label for this question in the form is TestingModifiedLabel which is 20 characters long.
When referencing this question using Handlebars, the following would not work:
In the reference data section of the "Custom Document Editor" window, you would see that this label has been modified to "T":
To Resolve this Problem
Rather than using these abbreviated ID's in the document editor, we recommend updating your form so that the question Unique ID's won't be shortened. This way, your ID's can be referenced consistently in all areas of the product. This means...
- Ensuring that ID's are 20 characters or less
- Ensuring the ID's don't contain non-alphanumeric characters
- Ensuring that ID's don't start with a number
If you have used the correct labels and the data is still not getting displayed in the document, you could check this article: Referenced form submission data doesn't get displayed in custom PDF document