- Controlling Visibility of the Info Control in Documents
Typically, ProntoForms users want generated documents (especially PDF, Word, HTML) to only include questions that have answers. This is to help make the document easier to scan for key information, or to hide parts of the form that were not relevant.
Scenario: Sections without answers should be Hidden
For example, you might have a form where a particular section only becomes relevant in certain scenarios, so conditional logic is used to make that section visible/not visible. With default configuration, ProntoForms will automatically hide this section on documents because it has no answers.
Scenario: Section without answers contains information to be displayed
However, you may have instances where a section might not contain answers, but it does contain an information control (or series of information controls) are used to provide key informational text that is always necessary to show on documents. Information controls don't have answers. With default configuration, ProntoForms will still automatically hide this section.
Controlling Visibility of the Information Control in Documents
A number of settings affect the visibility of questions in documents. These settings span both forms and documents, but we recommend checking the settings in this order due to the way they interact.
This is a setting found in the General tab of the information control properties in the Form Builder.
Ensure this setting is OFF if the question should ever appear in documents (If ON, this question will NEVER show in documents).
2. "Hide Unanswered Pages/Sections/Questions"
These are a series of settings in PDF, Word, and HTML documents.
- Hide unanswered pages: Hide any page that doesn't have any sections that contain questions with answers
- Hide unanswered sections: Hide any section that doesn't have any questions that have answers
Hide unanswered questions: Hide any question that doesn't have an answer
- Note: If this is ON, information controls ARE still shown, if they're in a section that will be shown
This is a setting found in the Properties tab of the information control settings in the Form Builder
If this setting is OFF, the document will only use the "hide unanswered..." rules to determine if the question will be included in the document.
- Therefore, if you have a section containing nothing except an information control, it will never show up if "hide unanswered sections" is checked
- If you have a section with an information control and an unanswered question, it will not show if "hide unanswered sections" is checked
- If you have a section with an information control and an answered question, it WILL show if "hide unanswered questions" is checked
If this setting is ON, the document will ignore the "hide unanswered sections" rule for the section that contains this question. In all of the cases described above, the section (and this question) will be shown).
Below is a sample form we'll use to illustrate the effect of these settings. The information questions are highlighted in orange boxes in the screenshot.
It has 5 sections:
- Section 1: A section with just an answered question
- Section 2: A section with just an unanswered question
- Section 3: A section with just an information question
- Section 4: A section with an information question, AND an answered question
- Section 5: A section with an information question, AND an unanswered question
Scenario: "Always show this question in reports" DISABLED
In the example document generated below...
- All of the "hide unanswered" options are selected on the document
- "Always show this question in reports" is DISABLED on all the information questions
- Any sections that have unanswered sections are hidden
- If the section has any answers, the information question in it IS visible
Scenario: "Always show this question in reports" ENABLED
In this next example...
- This is the same form, with the same sections and questions
- The form submission has exactly the same data/answers
- All of the "hide unanswered" options are still selected on the document
- But "Always show this question in reports" is ENABLED on all the information questions
Notice that two extra sections are visible:
- The section with just an information question
- The section with an information question and an unanswered question
This is because the "Always show this question in reports" causes the section to treat the information question like it has an answer.